Carpet is a large investment and should be properly cared for to maximize its lifespan. To ensure that a carpet lasts as many years as possible, it is critical to have it professionally cleaned on a regular basis. In addition to having it professionally maintained, homeowners should be proactive in routine upkeep. Unmaintained carpets are not only visibly unappealing, they can also be a source of health-related issues. If not properly cleaned microorganisms embed themselves deep within the carpet, which in turn can cause adverse health effects. Increased illness is likely a result of bacteria build-up in the carpet.
If carpets are not maintained between professional cleanings the carpets overall lifespan will decrease. This happens as a result of the wear-and-tear of dirt particles on the carpets fibers. This ends up costing homeowners more in the long run as carpets have to be replaced more frequently. It is imperative that carpets are well kept, not only to prevent health issues, but also to decrease unnecessary expenditures. Below are some tips that can help homeowners keep their carpets well maintained between professional carpet cleanings.
1. Vacuum Regularly – Generally carpets should be vacuumed no less than once a week (more often in heavily trafficked areas). Routine vacuuming extends the life of a carpet by simply preventing the build up of dirt particles that tear down carpet fibers. The height and texture of a carpet will also determine how much care it requires. Carpets with shorter piles are more low maintenance and a wise option for individuals with busy schedules. Carpets with longer piles are softer, but will demand more attention. Thus, how often someone should vacuum is contingent on the type of carpet, as well as the amount of foot traffic it receives.
Creating a vacuum schedule is a clever technique to remind household members to be proactive in cleaning the carpet. Household size, type of carpet, and foot traffic determine how often the carpets should be vacuumed. A schedule placed on the fridge can serve as a friendly reminder.
2. Be Cautious When Removing Stains and Spots – Carpet stains pose a serious challenge when cleaning a house. Before attempting to remove a stain consult a professional carpet cleaning company for advice. Harsh chemicals can cause further damage to the carpet’s fibers. Also, scrubbing a spot can cause the spill to be pressed deeper into the carpet pad. The remedy for removing a spot or stain is dependent on the spill. Each spot will require a unique method for removal. Consulting a professional is a smart option to avoid additional damage to the carpet. However, immediately after any spill the recommended technique is to gently blot the spot with a clean cloth.
3. Avoid Using Carpet Deodorizing Powders – Contrary to popular belief, carpet deodorizing powders do more damage than good. This talcum powder is not water-soluble and can be a challenge to remove. Later when the carpet is professionally cleaned, the deodorizing powders will rise to the surface once the carpet has dried. This leaves the carpet looking dirty and may also cause a white stain. In addition, many of these powders contain harmful chemicals that are dangerous to inhale. Allowing a professional to remove stains and odors is the safest and most efficient method.
4. Invest in a High Quality Carpet Pad – Just as houses need strong foundations to remain intact, carpets need quality pads to maintain longevity. Many people purchase inexpensive pads to save money, however cheap pads cause carpet fibers to breakdown more readily. If the carpet is not supported by a strong foundation, wear-and-tear will happen exponential faster. The upfront investment of a quality pad will save the consumer money in the long run.
5. When in Doubt, Call the Pros – Professional carpet cleaners in Lewisville TX have developed proven, efficient, and cost-effective methods for cleaning carpets. A trusted professional can provide a multitude of benefits to the consumer.
The importance of regular upkeep on carpet cannot be overstated. Following the tips in this article will help increase the longevity of a carpet, decrease health-risks, and save the consumer time and money
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7430577